Tuesday, November 26, 2013

#onesmallchange Allowing Myself to be Imperfect

Today I am linking up to Marcia’s #onesmallchange post… we are committing to one small change each week till the end of of the year, to help encourage us to meet our goals by the end of the year.

photo (15) (1)

This week my #onsmallchange commitment is to allow myself to be IMPERFECT.  Of course I am not perfect… whoever is? But I seem to think I should be.  I set such high standards for myself and expect a LOT from ME, and I need to, want to, practice being nicer to myself when I don’t meet my own expectations. 

I need to forgive, face forward, forge ahead, if not forget… don’t ya love the alliteration?    I am so hard on myself when I fail, when I slip, when I don’t perform.  And it needs to stop. I need to be nicer to ME!  I need to take a deep breath, assess, and just move on.


Over the past several weeks I have committed to making these changes till the end of the year:
  1. no eats after 8 p.m.
  2. drink 64 ounces of water each day
  3. take my supplements
  4. uplift at least one woman each day
  5. be extra nice to a difficult woman each day
  6. have enough pre-workout fuel
  7. nutrient combination of 20% fat, 35% protein, 45% carbs
  8. pre-bedtime routine
For the most part I have done quite well.  But this past week I had a few days where I really slacked.  The Captain and I spent 2 days totally relaxing and indulging ourselves and some of my #onesmallchange commitments were ignored.  I went a couple of days without drinking my water, taking my supplements and not meeting my nutrition goals.. and I really have not gotten into a routine, with my pre-bedtime hygiene.

And I didn’t evaporate into thin air… I didn’t explode, or implode, or even suffer in any way. 

I could have chastised myself and beaten myself up… but I made a conscious decision NOT to meet my own goals.  And I am taking full ownership of my actions, or lack thereof, and moving on.

It feels good to be able to ALLOW myself to be somewhat lax, and IMPERFECT, and almost decadent in a way.  I think I need to practice this a bit more often!

What about you?  Could you make #onesmallchange for your own health this week?

Do you beat yourself up when you don't meet your own expectations?

4 comments:

  1. This is a great change Elle! I am my own worst critic. When I do achieve something I have a tendency to tell myself it wasn't that big of a deal anyway. This week with our Thanksgiving happening part of my wants to forget all the hard work I did on Grain Brain and just let loose which I for sure will on Thanksgiving day but I don't want to be lax all week. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't beat myself up. I try and try again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't beat myself up (just like Kierston) because I have my WHOLE LIFE to meet my expectations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great challenge! I like the one about being nice to a difficult woman. I try so hard to do that one daily especially on the road! I'm doing an #Elf4Health challenge right now and have been making healthy changes myself daily. Today's was "Try a new workout" and I tried a fun cardio circuit!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!