Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Epiphany!

I don't have to give it my best shot and run my hardest EVERY time I go out.

This morning we set out on a mid-length run - I mapped 5.65 km, odd I know, but that is what it was - and I told The Captain it would be slower than Monday's run, but not as S-L-O-W as Saturday's. 

And as I was saying that,  it occurred to me that that is all right.  I don't have to run fast every time I go out (when it is not a designated SLOW long run).  I can just go out and lope along and vary my speed and have FUN!  Run faster if I feel like it and slower when I don't.

So that is exactly what we did.  We did follow the route I had predetermined, but we did our walk breaks, admired the flowers, scoped out this years blackberry bushes, talked to some kids and each other, and generally just enjoyed the trip.  Lovely.

When we got back to the boat, I did my stretching, and my pushups and some planks.  Felt great.  I have come to love the stretching, and am really loving the muscles that are beginning to appear on my arms.

W2 R46 @9/1 W3
stretch 7  minutes
20 pushups
1 minute High Plank X2

And now, several hours and a shower later, I am still floating on the endorphins.

Do you feel happy after you have had a good run?  What does 'a good run' mean to you anyway?

7 comments:

  1. Nearly every run is a good run, but there are some that feel better than others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Christy. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plan in one run a week that is just "fun". Whatever pace i want, play around a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a good run is definitely based on how I feel. They do not all have to feel effortless but I just feel strong and confident...LOVE that! It took me so long to realize that not every run has to be "all out!" Such a good realization and I think my body thanks me for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! I need to remember to 'run for fun.' Thanks for sharing your run with me!

    I haven't been having 'good' runs lately because I have been hurting. A good run to me sometimes does have to do with speed, and I know it should not be based only on that!

    A good run for me is how healthy and refreshed/energized I feel after it. I like feeling like I can conquer the world! And, a feeling of happiness and contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any run is better than no run at all! Fast, slow...whatever! Good for you for getting out and doing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. amen to that, some runs are just to be enjoyed! sometimes you can really kick it and other times you are just out their for distance or to enjoy the experience!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!