Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Wee Bit of Irish...

Happy Saint Patrick's Day


I think there is a little Irish in everyone today....



We have a 6 mile run on our half marathon schedule today.  It is a fall back week and I am looking forward to a change of scene.  We are running a route we haven't been on for some time now and it is one I particularly like... an urban trail that takes us through some parks, behinds some shopping malls, across an inlet and by a shipyard.  It is a 3-mile out and back and always busy on a Saturday with runners, bikers, and walkers ... Moms with strollers, families and lots of dogs.

The weatherman has promised me a sunny afternoon, really!

I have an Irish Beef Stew simmering in the crock pot, and I plan to bake a Brown Irish Soda Bread after our run, to go along with it... and there will be red Irish beer... today alcohol-free O'Doull's.

And to start the day... well what could be more Irish-inspired than Courtney's Green Smoothie pancakes?

I really wanted to make these when Courtney first posted them in January, and I recall commenting to her that I thought I would love them but that The Captain wouldn't like them... so she suggested I serve them on Saint Patrick's Day

This morning I started to panic when I couldn't find the recipe at first... and I did several searches on both of Courtney's blogs till I found the post I was after.

I made the recipe exactly as she posted it.... and it made up 10 pancakes.  I put all the ingredients into my FitDay software so I could calculate the N.I.  Per pancake:  Calories 93; Protein 5g, Carbohydrate 14g; Fat 2g; Fibre 2g.  (for my WW buddies, that is 2P+ each)




I served 4 to The Captain, and 3 to myself, and put the remaining 3 in the freezer.  They will make a good breakfast another day.  I cut up some kiwi fruit and navel oranges to go with them - very  Irish with the presentation being green and orange!  Then I poured a bit of syrup over all of it... sugar-free for me.



I got The Captain to sit down and close his eyes and then I presented him with his plate.  He thought it was quite pretty, and I was so pleased that he REALLY liked the taste of it all.... he didn't even ask me what was in the pancakes and I think he prefers not to know. 

But success!  Thanks, Courtney!  These Green Smoothie Pancakes have so much protein in them that I know I am going to be well-fuelled for the day. 

I do hope you will give them a try, too.

Image Detail




6 comments:

  1. Have a great run and I hope the sun shines for you:) I need to try those pancakes too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always make such yummy looking food! Hope the run was good!! happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always make food that looks so good! Yum! Hope your run was good! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome that you all liked them and awesome for getting the stats on them! love that! I am going to have to do kiwi and oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the green protein pancakes. going to check out Courtney's recipe now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fun post, Elle! I love how everything you made was festive and colorful - so cool! And the Irish blessing is priceless. I hope you and Mr. Captain had a great St. Patrick's Day and happy 6-miler! Keep up the fantastic work! :)

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!